On February 10, 2022, Shannon Scholten met with Dr. Ted Baehr to discuss sexual content that is plaguing our media. They discussed TikTok, Euphoria, and much more about this subject. You can watch the live here: Live with Shannon Scholten (rumble.com).
It’s a lot to process knowing we constantly have to be aware of the media we’re consuming and what the content holds. Sexual immorality is everywhere and we have to be careful of what we’re watching or reading. Did you know that our children are submerged in sexual content from a young age? Popular dances on TikTok show teens dancing provocatively while YouTube clips from movies show sex scenes and sexual language. It doesn’t stop there. Our literature is drenched in this sexual content. It’s easy to find popular Young Adults books that contain sex scenes, vulgarity, and graphic scenes that depict sexual violence. Even classics have like The Diary of Young Girl by Anne Frank contain sexual ideas and thoughts.
This is a huge problem as it can lead to sexual violence or harmful sexual activities in our teens and children. Subsequently, reading and watching such themes will probe thoughts in children’s minds as well as cause them to explore further into the subject of sexuality if their parents haven’t discussed these subjects with them. It is easy to think of a memory when you have watched a child copy something else that someone has done, whether it’s in real life or on a screen. Our teens and children copy TikTok dances, why wouldn’t they copy sexual immorality?
Protecting our children from this horrible plague is so important as they grow into adults. If your child is subjected to these themes from a young age, it’s likely that they will eventually act out. Many books, movies, and TV shows include references or as mentioned before, scenes that contain disturbing sexual activity or violence. Reading or watching this type of content will only manifest bigger issues as the child grows from child to teen to adult.
The question is: How is this content impacting my child? Will it have a positive or negative effect? It’s fairly easy to calculate that reading and watching sex scenes and violence will not have a positive effect on a young person. It’s so important that you talk to your child now before it’s too late. Don’t let them grow into an adult that doesn’t understand the trouble that can come with this type of material in their everyday lives. Now, if you’re a parent reading this or you know a young person very well, you may be panicking. Don’t worry, there is are some solutions to this problem.
How You Can Help Your Children:
- Begin by researching what content your child is watching or reading. Use Common Sense Media or Movieguide to help you.
- If your child is using TikTok, watching shows like Euphoria or reading books by authors like Sarah J. Maas, research what these mediums are exactly about and find other “clean” options for your child. Books like Anne of Green Gables, The Hobbit, or The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe are excellent subsitutes. Find appropriate movies and TV shows using MovieGuide. Perhaps you and your child should consider blocking certain content on TikTok or reporting it if it’s sexually immoral. Next, it’s important to check who your child is following on social media. If you help your child follow Christian influencers, musicians, writers, and/or celebrities, this will limit sexual content exposure if they’re following people who post “clean” content.
- Sit down with your child and talk about these things. Be kind and impress upon them that that sexual immorality is bad and it could lead to serious harmful reprecussions.
- Read verses like 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. The verse reads “Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of God” (NIV).
- Tell you children that if they have commited sexually immoral acts or are struggling with sexual desires, God is with them. He gave us access to forgiveness through the blood of His Son. We cannot hide from God’s love and no matter, what we have done, God loves us and can redeem us.